If not otherwise stated in the product detail, please use the following guide for fitting allowances.
We make the following fitting allowances on gates:
Ground clearance – usually 80mm, may need to be more to accommodate any slope
Gravity latch – Distance between edge of gate and latch post is 30mm
Slide latch – Distance between edge of gate and latch post 15mm
Security lock – Distance between edge of gate and latch post 10mm
12mm Hinge spigots – From back of fixing plate of spigot to edge of gate is 55mm, adjustable on eyebolt
16mm Hinge spigots – From back of fixing plate of spigot to edge of gate is 70mm, adjustable on eyebolt
All eyebolts, hinge spigots, latches and anchor bolts are provided. You will need a 12mm drill bit for the anchor bolts.
1. Decide upon your ground clearance and support your gate at the required height using a block of wood or similar.
2. Use a spirit level to determine that the gate sits level in the opening. Somebody to hold the gate straight can be a big help!
3. Fix the bottom hinge spigot (we also have a guide to fixing hinge spigots here).
Put the bottom eyebolt through the hole of the gate and then place the eyebolt over the hinge spigot. Mark the fixing holes for the hinge spigot. Use anchor bolts to fix the hinge spigot in place. Anchor bolts do not need rawl plugs- simply drill holes for them. Do not over-tighten the bolts until you are happy with the position.
3a. If it is a double gate, set the other lower hinge spigot in position and ensure the two spigots are level.
4. Put the top eyebolt in the gate and place over the top hinge spigot. Turn the top spigot upside down to prevent the gate being lifted off the hinges. Position the spigot in place, mark the fixing holes, and fix in place as for the lower spigots.
4a. If it is a double gate, set the other upper hinge spigot in position and ensure the two are level.
5. Hang the gate on the spigots and adjust the nuts of the eyebolts so that the gate is correctly positioned with respect to the fixing allowances for the latch and space available.
6. Assemble the latch, mark the fixing holes for the latch keeper, and then fix in place.
Please contact us if you have any problems or need some advice!